Thursday, March 16, 2017

Telling God-Stories

Excerpt from my new book, Commanding Supernatural Results. 


“The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive” (Jean Shinoda Bolen).

The ideas behind Telling God-Stories arose out of great necessity and divine passion. As a young man, I had such an unusual passion for art - listening to music, writing, and singing. I remember many times during my middle and high school years, when my friends gathered around and implore me to sing Fuji, which was my favorite style of music. We would always have a good time. Today, I still love to worship God through Fuji music.

Apart from singing, I also love to write and document stories. When I was young, we did not have access to personal computers or the internet, I would keep copies of most of my handwritten letters to people. To this day, I still have some of them.

I knew nothing about reading the Bible aside from the little stories we heard when I was a kid. However, I did not know that many of the stories in the Bible are testimonies of God's thoughts expressed in creation.

The purpose of this book is threefold: First, I want to tell some personal testimonies that are very precious to my heart. Though they may seem simple to some, because they are God stories that became my own, I love to share them.

David, the Sweet Psalmist of Israel composed more than 50% of the Psalms we enjoy today. He declares in Psalm 26:6-7,

I scrub my hands with purest soap, then join hands with the others in the great circle, dancing around Your altar, God, Singing God-songs at the top of my lungs, TELLING GOD-STORIES (MSG, Emphasis added).
David called his testimonies and achievements “God-Stories.” By documenting them, generations upon generations have been able to find comfort, healing, and deliverance from those stories. 

The power of your testimony can eradicate shame and reproach from your life and from the lives of others. No wonder David clings tenaciously to testimonies and stories of God’s mighty works. The purpose of this book is in obedience to a divine commandment and instruction. Many years ago, the Holy Spirit whispered to my heart to start documenting stories and personal testimonies...

Back in high school, I had a friend that taught me how to write “toast letters” to girls. I would stay awake for hours writing just one letter... learning to write these notes did prove to be of some benefit. When I met my “priceless jewel” and she agreed to marry me, I told her that she should get ready to read a lot of notes and to be prepared to write back as well. Now I have the chance to put to use all I learned in those toast letter lectures for the rest of my life!

When we first started dating, she was working in Lagos, while I was completing my graduate studies at the University of Ibadan. Whenever she came back for a weekend or a vacation, I visited her house and dropped off some notes. Initially, it was difficult for her to write replies to my “stories,” because she was not used to writing so much. However, with time, she began writing pages of her own stories to me as well.
Today, I still have every letter we exchanged. They will be a blessing to many through my soon coming book, which will be titled: Epistles to my “Pot of Hot Soup”.


I share all of that to show you that, in one way or another, God has been preparing me to write stories that will become a legacy for many generations.


To get a copy follow this link: my book



No comments:

Post a Comment